Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

#3 Down East Circle Journey Start: Yarmouth ME to Cuttyhunk 2013

June 15 2013 is the start of my Down East Circle journey.  Since I will be alone most of the open water portions of my trip, I elected to upgrade the autopilot system, adding an AIS system* and a new bridge radio (all Garmin) into the boat network.  My 3208 Cat engine was tuned by the Caterpillar engine expert at the yard and sounds good and looking for some work. *note you can find my current position and follow my track and past routes by logging on to: <http://www.marinetraffic.com> .
The overall planned track:


I am excited about this adventure, the challenge of doing most of it on my own is somewhat daunting but it gets me out of my comfort zone.  I am looking forward to my Grand kids Joseph and Niamh joining me on the Erie Canal, since Joseph will be heading to college soon It will be the last chance for me to spend quality time with them together.

Getting Firebird ready to launch


We left at 7:30 Sat and proceeded down the coast past several Lighthouses

 Knubble Lighthouse


 Whaleback Reef Light
 Ft McClery was my first stop for the night.
 The Portsmouth side of Piscataqua Rver

Abandoned CG Station

 Our first day out we traveled to Kittery Point Maine, and got a PYC Mooring ball at Pepperrell Cove.

 Kittery Point dock, they have a dock for inflatables and a dock for wooden dingus, all must have a 15 ft tie line.


 Bob

There was a British Enactment taking place at Fort McClary, we ran into some of the enactors at a local sandwich shop.
 Fort McClary encampment
 The next day on our journey south we decided to cruise thru the Isles of Shoals but opted not to stop.  We wanted to take advantage of the great cruising weather to get to Beverly.

 Isles of Shoals approach


 Very well protected harbor, there are PYC mooring balls there, which must be yielded to a member otherwise available.




 Onward to Massachusetts, that is Thatcher's Island with the twin lighthouses in the distance, just off Rockport.


 Approaching Bakers Island in the Salem/ Beverly harbor

 Salem Harbor
 Beverly coast line


 Hospital Point Light House, this is the residence of the NE Region Coast Guard Commander. It was named Hospital point because at one time there was a hospital which served TB patients.

Firebird at Beverly Marina for the day
 The next day I got off to a slow start but managed to cast off by 1030 and once I cleared Bakers island it was a straight shot to the east end of Cape Cod Channel.  I stayed overnight at the Sandwich Municipal Marina. Very nice.  The next day I had trouble getting out of my berth as there was 20 plus miles per hr winds pushing me into the finger dock. After some heart thumping moments I was able to get clear.  Once in the canal there was no wind influence as the land blocked any effect. In a ebbing tide situation I was getting a 3 MPH push.

First bridge is the Sagamore Bridge

 Approaching Canal tour boat

 The Bourne Bridge in You guessed it Bourne Massachusetts.

 Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge.  This bridge is normally kept in the open position until trains arrive at which point there is only 7 ft clearence.

 Mass Maritime Academy
 USS Kennedy
 Say good by to the Cape Cod Canal
 A lone rider on the beach, cool.


 Cuttyhunk approach
 Cuttyhunk Pool channel
 The pool and anchor field
 This is the barrier between the ocean and the pool

 Firebird on anchor at the pool

Views from the heights of Cuttyhunk



 The residents say on a clear day they can see Block Island from this point.


 The library.


 While walking around I met some fellow boaters on their way to Maine, after some chit chat, they asked if I had a donut yet?  Turns out there is a small boat house on the pier which has a person who makes hand made cinnamon sugar donuts fresh before your eyes.  Well I had to try one, fresh and hot out of the vat.  Delicious!!! Recommend all try this special treat.

Tomorrow I will be going to Block Island.











No comments:

Post a Comment