Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Sunday, June 23, 2013

#6 Down East Circle; Block Island to Connecticut River and Essex

Lighthouse near Fisher Island


The sighting of this lighthouse marks the entrance to the Connecticut River


 This is some kind of Batmobile Boat coming down the river.


The railroad bascule bridge opened up for my passage, you call the operator and request an opening or use a horn signal. One blast followed by a return short blast from the bridge operator is what it takes.  This bridge is called the Old Lyme Draw; it is stated that some operators will not respond to an incorrect name.

 This bridge is fixed with a vertical clearance of 81 feet.  It is also Route I95.  I onlt need 24 ft so I fit ok.
The schooner Mary C out of Essex, they do daily cruises up and down the river.






Interesting use of an old day marker

 The town is really quaint.  all of main street had patriotic buntings and flags displayed.




This was a warehouse but is now a CT River Museum.

 If you can read this it is a layout of the town as it appeared in colonial days, the numbered buildings still stand.
 Main street house for sale, the nice bird house is included.

There are several establishments in town with the Griswold moniker.

 Inside the Griswold Inn, where ale has been served without interruption since 1776.  They are open 365 days a year. So I had to have an Ale...the name of the local brew (you can guess) is Revolutionary Ale

There are three marinas in Essex and a public pier. In the evening I was on my boat being entertained by a band at the Brewer marina performing for a wedding.  They were playing the usual venue that you hear at most weddings, even pausing to sing Happy Birthday for someone special in attendence.  To my surprise they ended early about 6 PM.  There was another wedding celebration going on at the third Marina and an hour later the same band from the first Wedding celebration started up again for the second wedding.  So I got to hear the entire act again to include the "happy birthday" acknowledgment.  That band has a great manager.

In the morning I left early for an hour trip up river to see Gillett's Castle, on the way there were large fish jumping out of the water, I was reminded of hose asian carp that are in the inland rivers. So I satisfied my curiosity, the following pictures are of the a building I thought was the castle.  Turns out not to be, but I took the pictures and made the effort.  I wasn't going any further up river, so maybe I subconsciously wanted this to be the answer.  Next time I'll drive my car, it is much cheaper.











 Going up river and back, I was surprised at how shallow the river is, with the channel being very narrow in many places.  The river was still very pretty.

This is the lighthouse that I passed coming into the river, now I'm leaving the same way on to Oyster Bay, NY approximately 45 miles.





No comments:

Post a Comment