Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Thursday, June 20, 2013

#4 Down East Circle; Cuttyhunk to Block Island

Today was a straight shot across the bay to Block Island.  A head wing from the west cause Firebird to take a salt bath.

I am on schedule, however, I left Cuttyhunk later so got some more west winds than I would have if I got going earlier.  Arrived at Block Island at 420 today.  Pleasant trip, but delayed in getting out of Cuttyhunk as a sail boat caught his dingy line on his prop and pulled it under (sunk it). Then because he had pulled his anchor, he drifted into the sea grass bed (aground).  So I helped them with their dingy and they were able to cut the line off the prop and get loose. A little excitement for the day. 


Block Island Light House, this is the first land sighting on the trip from Cuttyhunk.



Block Island mooring field

 Pulled into Block Island and got a mooring right up front near the wharf, but turns out they were reserved.  The front row moorings are reserved for the many top class sail boats which will be coming in today and tomorrow to start race week.  They kicked me off to find another which I did and had fun securing it as the wind kept blowing me off the line so I had trouble gaffing it.  Each pass I went to get the line and the wind moved me away too fast to make the pick up.  Some guy went and lifted it to me from his dingy which created another problem as I could have run him over.  But all is well. I plan to spend two nights here.  This weekend starts race week and a lot of special sail boats are expected tomorrow.

Some guys (Joe, Andy and Kyle) from NY came over to the boat to check her out, they thought she was eye catching (guys don't say beautiful do they?).


Had supper on the boat, salad, sweet potato and hot wings.  That portable freezer I got works great (runs off 12v and 110v), I can put ice cream in it and it will turn it into a block solid. Tomorrow I will explore Block Island.  The evening sky as I settle down for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment