Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Friday, June 21, 2013

#5 Down East Circle; Block Island Day Off

Today was a down day, give the old girl (Firebird) a rest and spend time exploring the island.  My first impression is that Block island isn't as hectic as Martha's vineyard.

Today was a blast,,,rented a scooter and traveled every road that I was allowed on the island. Got sunburned on my arms..silly me didn't use sun screen.  Walked to the North Lighthouse, about a mile from the parking lot and back.  Saw some fledgling seagulls with heir down feathers, I had never seen seagulls that were that young.  It is kind of like who has seen a baby pigeon? I scootered into a local seaside restaurant feeling like a Hells Angle on my MOPED parked the HOG and sauntered into the restaurant, sat at the Bar.  The guy with the cane at the end of the bar was eyeballing me but I just acted cool. I enjoyed clear clam chowder and calamari for lunch followed by some Italian ice cream in the afternoon.  Thinking about supper now, don't know if I will go into the pier resturant or prep on the boat.  The wind is very strong today



Get ready to rumble.  With my 40 HP Chinese stead I'm off to explore the island.


This is the only "round-about" that I encountered on the island. The statue is called Rebecca.  However when looking up the statue I find the following: "Named for the biblical Rebekah-at-the-well, B.I.'s 'Rebecca' stands proudly at the intersection of four Old Harbor roads. She was erected in 1896 by the local Women's Christian Temperance Movement, which hoped to curb the consumption of alcohol on Block Island. Ironically, restoration experts have concluded that Rebecca is in fact Hebe, cupbearer to the Gods, which may explain why tea-totalling never caught on, at least not here on BI. The statue was recast in 2001."


First stop is the Southeast Lighthouse, visual aid follows:




What is a lighthouse without the obligatory pose?  I love Japanese student visitors, they are so willing to take your picture, and are so enthusiastic. 



Had enough of me then how about some unsuspecting volunteer?







Over at Old Harbor is where the ferries arrive and the day visitors.  There appears to be a high speed passenger Catamaran and a regular auto/passenger ferry that services the island.




The next stop was the North Lighthouse, as you can see it was a good trek to get there and back, so I hope you like the pictures.








Have you ever seen a immature seagull?  Sort of like no one has ever seen a baby pigeon, they seem to appear fully grown.


What makes this a bad idea is the sand is really hard to walk on.  I didn't seem to be making much progress with such sloppy footing.


Cruising around the island I found this hollow with cattle grazing.  This picture reminds me of Santa Catalina for some reason.



 Found this Cemetery, the only stones which were readable were of non native American names, there were a lot of little boulders in a row pattern, I assume were marking the Native Americans.



 Ok this car belongs to the Island eccentric woman, there is a bumper sticker which reads "my other car is a broom". Yes that is a mermaid on top and side door.

 

In case of an accident on the right side, we have your boating fender approach.
 

Note the tie ring, I guess it would be useful

if she wants to dock the thing.


Another great sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment