Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

#7 Down East Circle; Essex CT to Oyster Bay NY

The journey from Essex CT to Oyster Bay NY was uneventful. Approximately 45 miles and I could see both NY and CT all the way.  There were strange water movements that I can only describe as confused.  The first part of the run, was aided by the remaining inbound tide, where as the last third was agains it.  There were spots where there were great rips near 6 mile reef and others where it was like glass to be followed in the afternoon by 20 MPH winds.  I arrived with the wind and cruised the harbor looking for a sheltered spot to anchor.  Most of the open anchor fields were at the north end of the bay, which provided a good reach for the south winds to build and cause havoc.  I eventually ended up anchoring in the far eastern section where there was less open area and hopefully less wind impact.

Oyster Bay NY has no chain stores, the nearest drug store is 9/10 of a mile out of town.  The restaurants all seem to be Italian.  I made that observation to a elderly gentleman who was from the "old country" and he noted that people think that the Italians are better cooks, but you look into the kitchen and you will find the united nations of chefs/cooks.

I walked about town, is was quiet and quaint.










So I decided to walk out to Livingston Hill to see Teddy Roosevelt's home. But was told that it was closed for major renovation.  I could still walk the grounds and the nature trail, Let me see...walk out 1.5 miles to walk a nature trail.  I opted not.

So instead I decided to go to the train museum, but it was closed also.



So back to the boat and to repair that raw water filter for the air conditioner.  It is real hot and I need a swim.

Off to NY City in the AM.


No comments:

Post a Comment