Firebird

Firebird
The Adventure Continues

Monday, August 4, 2014

#18 Down East Circle; Newfoundland after ST Pierre back to Cape Breton

Today I cruised from St Pierre Miquelon to Fortune Harbor CD.  It was a last minute decision as there was plenty of fog and a following sea that delayed my decision to go of it.  On the way I was accompanied by dolphins.

Arriving at Fortune I was met by customs and border authorities and did my in processing.  I met the Harbor Master (Kerry Keeping) and he led me to a dock for the night.  The next day I was looking for a bank to change my Euros back to Canadian dollars, but there was no bank in town, the closest was at Grand Bank some 4 KM north.  I decided to run the boat up there and get a dock space for the following night.  I was told there were restaurants and other amenities along with the bank.  In the meantime I met a couple getting on the ferry to St Pierre, and explained my need to convert my Euros, we came to an agreement and exchanged funds. Since I had already out processed from my dock I continued with moving up the coast.


There were restaurants and shops in Grand Bank and at night I went to a show entitled “Woodstock Revival”.  While the performers were not Broadway caliber, they were entertaining for the night.  It is interesting to see the interpretation of that era by folks who were not alive when it actually occurred.  I am sitting in Firebird writing this portion of my comments it is 2230 hrs and still light enough to see and the salmon are jumping in the harbour.

Iron Skull Mountain for which the festival is named.





Belloeram

I left Grand Bank today to go to Belleoram.  There was a rumor that the Iron Skull festival was taking place over the weekend.  It was an uneventful crossing and I found Belleoram quite charming.  The festival was at the top of a huge hill, ½ way to the top of the valley heading over the mountain.  I tied up to a commercial wharf and decided to walk to the festivities. It was a long walk from the boat to the music, when I got there I needed fluid. The music in NL all seems to sound the same no matter who is singing. It was sort of folk country, pleasant but after a while I got tired of it and went into town. 2 streets was the town, upper and lower both 1 way and about 10 buildings long. On the upper there were 3 convenience stores and 1 video rental. The town was having a fish dinner at the community center, $8 for cod and salmon with mash potatoes slaw and cake.  It was delicious.  The ladies gave me another portion of salmon for later. 

Back at the boat, I stashed the salmon and noticed a man cleaning cod on the rocks, Frank was his name and we shared a few stories while he cleaned the cod.  He is the night watchman at the fish farming dock. Cooke Corp. is the largest salmon farming company in NL.   Frank was passing the time waiting for a truck pickup of salmon just delivered from the pens up in the fjord. He explained that they were all iced down and would be delivered to a processing plant in another location. Frank gave me 3 filets. I invited him on Firebird.  I have found that the Newfoundlanders are curious about Firebird and too polite to ask to board.  Frank and I shared some cold lemonade. Before he had to go load a truck with the iced down salmon.

The last act was billed to start at 1 AM.  The said it was rock for the youngsters as the old-timers would be in bed by then.

The next morning I decided to try and calibrate the auto pilot again, as it has been giving me fits all summer.  I tried several time but couldn’t get the calibrations to take and the feedback rudder position was not functioning.  I figured that something had disconnected in the rough seas of the other day so I had to enter the lazareth and check it out.  Sure enough the drive post was loose and the feedback arm had come undone.  The installation was the culprit, the mechanics did a Rube Goldberg approach to securing the post (on which all depends).  I did the best to correct it and was pleased that it functioned well on today’s trip.  While in the engine room doing my usual pre-castoff routine, I noticed that there was a lot of diesel fluid under the generator, upon further inspection; I found the fuel filter loose. I had a mechanic at Baddeck change the filters and fluids, so it has been leaking for the trip.  I borrowed a filter wrench from a fisherman and tightened the canister and cleaned up the mess.  Now I was ready to leave.  I noticed that the starting battery has been slow and was drained, the engine is hard to start.  I believe the battery needs to be replaced because I have been watching the amps charging and the battery needs a lot when starting off but the need reduces to normal after a few hrs.





Well I cruised at my leisure to Breton Harbor because the guide stated that I could refuel here.  I could have done so at Fortune and Grand Bank from a fuel truck, but held out for here to get a pump at the wharf.  No such luck.  The pump is closed and fuel is delivered on Tue and Thur each week.  So either I solve the problem another way or I loose a day waiting for fuel.  It was blowing a gale as I entered the harbor and as I cruised to the top I was looking for a place to tie up.  Nothing at the top but I saw a friend from Australia anchored in the middle of the harbor. Odern is their boat and they have traveled from their homeland in an around the world cruise.  They came here for the same reason as I, for fuel.  This is their next to last stop before St Pierre and Dublin.  The last time I saw them was in Baddeck.  What are the chances?

I went toward the entrance of the harbor and tied up to the old commercial wharf.  I went looking for electricity so as to keep my battery charged.  My electric cords gave me 130 ft and I was about 50 ft short after sliding my boat down the dock.  The connection from the bait shed was alive and providing electricity to another fishing boat, I went on that boat and found an open circuit to plug into to provide electricity to Firebird. Looks like free electric for me tonight.  I ended the day by cooking up the cod filets and reheating some leftover fries.  Spent the day talking to fishermen and took a ride on my bike into the lower town.  I visited Sunny Cottage which is a well maintained turn of the 19th century three story house.  Three stories is a rarity in Newfoundland, having been built by a merchant in the town, providing a glimpse into the past.  It should be noted that there was no indoor privies or electricity.  I even got a chance to go up to the widow’s peak for a great view of the harbour.

Harbour Breton


The next day was fuel day, a truck was scheduled for delivery to Harbour Breton on Tuesday.  I was scheduled for a fill up.  The truck didn’t arrive until 1400 hrs and after getting filled up, it was too late for me to leave for my next destination.  I was curious as to if the aboriginal reserve had pump service at the dock so I decided to investigate tomorrow.  The harbour authority came by and gave me a bill for the 2 days on dock.  I told him that his price was higher that Fortune and he agreed to give me the evening for free. 

Wednesday at 0600 I departed Harbour Breton and headed for Conne River Reserve.  I wanted to leave early, as the wind and rain were a possible forecast for the day.  The early morning was hazy but once starting up the Bay d’Espoir the wind shifted to the north and the sun came out.  It was an uneventful trip, but the depths in the bay and tributaries were so deep that one of my sounders couldn’t get a reading, so I turned it off until I got to 800 feet.  Upon arrival I was greeted by some folks who informed me that there was a dock fee and was I sure I wanted to tie up.  Across the river at St Albans there is a free dock, so these folks get very few visitors.  That fact and owing to charts of the area do not show this wharf or facility.  I determined to stay put and check it out.  This is a reserve marina and is run by the Miawpukek Harbour Authority. This is a “First Nation” aboriginal reservation, no pictures as there wasn't anything interesting to photograph.  I cruised to McCallum from Conne River.

McCallum NL

Today I journeyed from Conne River to McCallum.  While it would only take a short run (I thought) it would be interesting as I would be traveling a different route down the bay, on the north side of Boise Island.  That side was narrow and when I started up it going to Conne River, I met a strong current.  So with an outgoing tide, I expected a 3 hour push.  The walls of this path were closer to center ad more imposing. Here is the problem, it was total fog all the way down so no opportunity for any good pictures.  When I reached the mouth of the bay and headed west, I was greeted by rough water as much as 3-4 meters.  Firebird handled it well, but I had to slow down to minimize the impact on the boat and me. I made it to McCallum with the aid of radar.  McCallum is one of the last true “Outports” left in Newfoundland.  An “Outport” is an isolated village along the coast which was originally established to support the fishing industry. St John’s is an “Inport” which means that it was the controlling center for the industry.  The fisher barons all lived in St John’s.  If you get a chance pick some of Farley Mowat’s books, to get a real sense of the life on the coast. With the demise of the fishing industry the government has made a concerted effort to close these Outports as a cost cutting measure.  The government would buy the house from the owner and resettle them in a population center they would allow the owner to retain the bought homes as camps etc, but they couldn’t live there permanently.  The government’s intentions were to redistribute the work force into other ventures.  The unintended consequences were high unemployment of the resettled folks as the job markets did not expand in the other industries as expected.  A lot of the youth and middle aged men have gone to Alberta where the oil industry is providing a employment boom.

This brings me to McCallum, 96% of the population must vote for resettlement to make this happen.  Last vote was 67% so I’m told.  So about 50 residents cling to a way of life in this little town, which can only be reached by boat or Helicopter.  There is a community center, medical aid office, school, and 1 store. There is a diesel fuel electric generating plant of electricity.  Water flows from the nearby mountain.  I met several men who work for the biggest aquaculture conglomerate (Cooke) maintaining the salmon pens out in the bay.  


Instead of sidewalks, the community is full of wooden walkways.  Most folks own 4 wheel ATV and ride the walk ways.




That box like structure is covering protection for the water lines.


Fresh veggies is important even here.  Folks don't have much land so they take advantage of what they can.


Ramp to pull their boats up out of the water in weather, or storage.


A major intersection between several fish shacks.







Wood cleats are for pedestrians to keep from slipping on wet wood



Or not.  She is going to meet the ferry.




Interesting anchor made in part with wood


These folks still use the old fashion lobster traps, note that they pour cement in the base to weight them down.  In my day as a back hander on my dad's boat, we user 4 bricks located in each conner.  In the sprain when we first soaked the traps, we added more bricks to keep them down until they became water logged, then we removed the extra bricks.  The traps were heavy enough without the extra bricks.




If anyone has seen the Robin Williams movie "Popeye" this village reminds me of "Sweet Haven"



Tomorrow I will travel to Francois (NL pronounce it French-ways).  It is an Outport town.



 I never thought I would be awoken by a rooster while in my boat but it happened here.


Francios has the same walk way system as McCallum, however most is paved.  Again everyone has 4 wheel ATVs.




 I decided to climb this hill tomorrow.

 Francios in the evening





Mr Wilson getting ready to leave Francios NL



 Waving good by to Francios




 I set off on Sunday to Gray River, but got there so quickly that I decided to add 30 more miles today and cruise to Burgeo NL.  The going was not smooth and the ever present fog abounded.  During the run, I spotted two sun fish (Mora-Mora) once at the mid point in the cruise and finally as I approached Burgeo.  These pictures are what I was able to catch.






 I made Burgeo and tied up along side the public dock at about 5 o’clock.  Helping me with the lines was a friendly couple from a sailboat.  It turns out that they are from Marion Massachusetts.  Small world reaffirms itself again, when in the course of our getting acquainted, turns out that Michael was born and educated in Winchester England.  I use to live there in another life.

Burgeo was nondescript.  No pictures and I can only comment that the folks were friendly giving me rides to the grocery store and bank. The town is not cut off as were Francios or McCallum and it was thriving. All of the things that you would need were available here. I managed to do a load of laundry.

Tomorrow I'll visit Grand Bruit which was resettled.  I understand there were a few hold outs at Grand Bruit which I'll see first hand.

Grand Bruit (Pronounced: Grand Brit)

I took a lot of pictures of this place because of it's uniqueness and because it is really spookie.  In the school house there is a soccer ball in the middle of the floor and school paper on the desk.  It looks like they just evacuated in a panic.


This house is occupied in the summer by folks from Halifax.  They originally owned the home and were resettled by the government receiving money for their home, but allowed to retain ownership.  So they come out here every summer with their little generator and live in the quiet of the village.  I understand there are a total of 14 souls who do the same.



This is the old school house note the sign: "Grand Bruit All-Grades School" Also note the wires cut from the source and the meter removed. This was the final act of removing Governmental support from the village.  There were some homes which still had the wires connected and had meters installed.  I am told that they didn't sell out and have electric service from the mainland.




This causeway lead to another island which was part of the community.  The village cemetery was located there and one house.  It was rumored that an American bought the house just before the village was resettled, leaving him with a "poor investment". The causeway shows worse for wear from neglect.









On Great Bruit and thru out Newfoundland there is the abundance of fresh water, in the many towns and villages the water is free and is usually left running 24/7.  In the winter this servs a function of not freezing up, in the summer time???  The waterfalls is the overflow








I traveled from Grand Bruit to Isle au Mort (Island of the dead rough translation)

Isle au Mort wharf

Fooling around with the panoramic function.


I stayed at the wharf for the night and cruised to Ingonish the next day.  It took 12.5 hours to cross the Cabot Straits as the seas were very rough and I had to moderate speed and angles to make the crossing bearable. Thus ending my side trip to Newfoundland and St Pierre.

The next day after a well deserved sleep, I left Ingonish for Baddeck. I will pass by Bird Island which is noted for it's Puffin population and bald eagles.  The day was considerably calmer with no wind.  My only consideration today was the window to enter Great Bra d'Ore channel. The current can be difficult as it doesn't change until 4 hours after low tide.  So to get the advantage of a current, I needed to be at the mouth 4 hrs after low tide.

Leaving Ingonish and cruising by Bird Island



 On bird island there were many Bald Eagles I saw several on nests and many more clinging to the cliffs.  Because there is a large population of ducks and puffins, favorite food of eagles, the eagle population is surging.  A naturalist expressed his concern for the puffin with the eagle resurgence.



The coast of Cape Breton


The entrance to Bras d'Ore lakes.  This portion was very reminiscent of the Hudson River cruise.


No comments:

Post a Comment